This soup is perfect for a weeknight because it’s ready in about half an hour.
2 Tbs. canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 small zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
4 cups vegetable broth
1 14-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 Tbs. lime juice
Tortilla chips for topping
1. Heat canola oil in large saucepan. Sauté onion until translucent. Stir in zucchini slices; cook for about 2 minutes. Add garlic, broth, soybeans, and tomatoes. Cook until zucchini is soft.
2. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice. Ladle into soup bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips. Serves 4.
Take advantage of August’s delicious, sweet (and cheap!) watermelon by whipping up a batch of watermelon papaya smoothies.
2 cups watermelon, seeds and rind removed
2 cups papaya, sliced
8-10 ice cubes
1/4 cup of your favorite non-dairy milk
Splash of lime juice
Combine all ingredients in blender; process until smooth. If you like your smoothies a little sweeter, add some agave nectar.
Want to impress your friends with Jamaican fare for your next vegan dinner party, or just spice up your Saturday night supper? Try this full-flavored recipe that bumps up the flavor of tofu to “Irie, Mon!” Hot and spicy (but not too hot), this marinade/sauce can be adapted to the tongue-smoking level by adding Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers instead of the milder jalapeño.
Try serving jerk tofu with baked yams topped with toasted pecans and maybe that Caribbean staple, rice and beans (we’ve posted a recipe for gallo pinto from Costa Rica). Jamaican Red Stripe beer adds a refreshing, authentic touch.
This recipe makes enough marinade to cover two blocks of tofu, which serves four people. Divide in half if using one block of tofu.
6 green onions, sliced thinly (discard top 1/3 of green ends)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbs. fresh ginger, minced
2 jalapeño peppers, minced
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbs. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. thyme
1 Tbs. vegan brown sugar
1-2 blocks extra firm tofu
1. In a large bowl, mix the first nine ingredients, including olive oil. In a smaller bowl, combine spices and brown sugar. Add to liquid mix and stir. If using one block of tofu, spray an 8 x 8 pan with oil. Slice tofu into three slices from its narrow end. Place in pan and pour HALF of marinade over tofu. For two blocks of tofu, use a 9 x 13 pan, and pour ALL the marinade over tofu.
2. Let stand for 15 minutes. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
You can easily enjoy the tastes of Thailand on a weeknight after a hard day’s work because this recipe is so simple. Marinate the tofu in the lime juice while you prepare the other ingredients and read your mail.
1 16-oz. package firm tofu
2 Tbs. canola oil
6 green onions, white parts only, thinly sliced
1 Tbs. diced green chilies, hot or mild
1 14-oz. can coconut milk
2 tsp. tamari
1 12-oz. package frozen stir-fry veggies
Your favorite Asian chili sauce (optional)
Grated or shredded coconut for garnishing (optional)
Rice or Udon noodles
1. Drain tofu and slice into 1″ cubes. Grate lime zest and sprinkle over tofu cubes. Slice lime in half and squeeze juice over tofu cubes. Stir to combine and set aside.
2. Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sautè tofu and scallions for about 3 minutes. Add green chilies, coconut milk, and tamari. Heat until mixture bubbles. Add frozen veggies and chili sauce, if using. Heat through and serve over rice or noodles. Garnish with coconut if desired.
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
4″ piece ginger
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan; stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until slightly thickened. Allow syrup to cool before using. Store extra ginger syrup in the refrigerator so that you can make a slushy on a moment’s notice!
10 ice cubes
3 cups watermelon, seeded and chopped
3 Tbs. lime juice (preferable freshly squeezed)
1/4 cup ginger syrup
Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Enjoy!