If you’re expecting guests, roll out the red carpet and fix a batch of these caramel-pecan rolls for breakfast. They’re guaranteed to rival the offerings of your neighborhood java joint, and your guests may never leave.
1 .25-oz. package active dry yeast
1 2/3 cup warm water
1 tsp. salt
4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbs. vegan margarine
Additional margarine for greasing bowl and pan
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs. vegan margarine
3 Tbs. light corn syrup
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1. To prepare dough, dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes; add salt. Stir in 3 1/2 cups of flour to yeast mixture. Dough will begin to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, incorporating the remaining flour until dough is smooth and elastic. Add more flour, a tablespoon at a time, if the dough sticks to your hands.
2. Grease a medium bowl with vegan margarine. Place dough in the bowl, cover with a clean dish towel, and let rise for about 1 hour in a warm place.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the caramel. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with vegan margarine and set aside. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine brown sugar, vegan margarine, and corn syrup. Stirring constantly, heat until smooth and thick (about a minute and a half). Pour caramel into the bottom of the springform pan and spread evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle pecans over the caramel mixture and set dough aside.
4. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside. When dough has doubled in size, punch it down and let it rise for about 5 more minutes. On a floured surface, roll dough out into a large rectangle. Spread margarine on dough with a butter knife, leaving a 1/2″ border around the edges, and sprinkle sugar over the margarine.
5. Beginning with the side of the dough closest to you, begin rolling the rectangle tightly into a log. Trim the edges off and discard. Slice the log into 1″ rounds and place them in the springform pan on top of the caramel. Cover with the clean dish towel and let rise until doubled in size (about 40 minutes).
6. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake caramel-pecan rolls for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and invert pan onto serving plate (be careful!). Open the springform pan, carefully using a knife to help free any rolls that stick to the pan. Lift off the springform pan bottom to reveal the beautiful caramel-pecan topping. Your guests will be impressed!