This delightful breakfast dish is baked in the oven, warming your kitchen on a chilly morning and scenting your home with a cinnamon fragrance. You’ll love it!
2 1/2 cups almond milk
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 3/4 cups rolled oats
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Coat a medium-size baking dish (8″ x 8″ or larger) with margarine or canola oil.
2. Mix first five ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Stir in oats, cranberries, and walnuts. Pour into baking dish. Cover and bake for about 35 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the oats are tender.
Substitution suggestions: Instead of cranberries, try dried currants, golden raisins, or dried apricots. Try toasted almonds or pecans instead of walnuts.
Our friends at The Vegetarian Site claim that this is one of their favorite desserts of all time. Try it and see for yourself!
3/4 pound dates, chopped
1/2 cup unrefined sugar
1 cup water
Juice of one lemon
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 cups rolled oats (not quick oats)
1/3 cup applesauce
1/3 cup vegan margarine (never hydrogenated)
1 cup unrefined sugar
1. In medium saucepan, combine dates, sugar, and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened (approximately 8 minutes). Remove from heat and cool. Add lemon juice, vanilla, and walnuts.
2. In separate mixing bowl, sift flour, salt, and baking soda. Add oatmeal, applesauce, margarine, and sugar. Combine well. With wet hands, press half of the oatmeal mixture into a greased 13x9x2-inch or 11x11x2-inch pan. Spread with filling. Cover with remaining oatmeal mixture.
3. Bake at 350º for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool to room temperature and cut into squares. Refrigerate if desired. Enjoy!
More vegan recipes from the Vegetarian Site are available here.